The Forge

Thundering Hammer Clan | Feathermoon
It is currently Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:15 am

Post subject: About the Hall of Fire...
PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 8:22 am  

Hi folks!

A really good discussion was had on vent last night about role play, who Thundering Hammer is and what stories we can tell. We are going to light the fire in the hall, gather around and tell our stories. Young and old, rich or poor, artists, thieves, leaders, peons and everything in between. Mind you, if roleplay is not your thing no worries. This is strictly a volunteer element of the Thundering Hammer. All we ask (this is in our information on our guild page in the game) is that you refrain from making OOC (Out of Character) remarks in Say and with the Emote option. Blizzard has given you a general list of emotes you can /wave at and get around the IC (In Character) World of Warcraft just fine.

Still here? Still want to play a role in the ever unfolding World of Warcraft:Feathermoon Horde Edition? Read on!

Some of you might say,"But Teevi--I don't know how to roleplay!"

Everyone starts out crawling before they learn to walk or run. Roleplay is no different. Roleplay is as complex, subtle or boldfaced out there as YOU decide to be. Roleplay is just a method by which some of us choose to navigate and travel through our WoW experience. Let's use the analogy that roleplay is cooperative storytelling that travels through the game provided by Blizzard for our mutual interactione and enjoyment. Let's drive through this. Design your vehicle (Character), use what Lore you can find or is revealed to you as a Map and begin to navigate your journey. We ask that you be a courteous driver but since we are travelling with you, how about you make it entertaining and colorful? Signal your intentions so we can avoid accidents. If a Stop Sign is put in play, obey it. More often in cooperative story-telling, yield signs are most prevalent. Color in the lines of propriety--(let's not cater to necrophilia and pedophilia, as an example) and good reason.

I'm going to use my characters to illustrate a few examples of roleplay (driving) to help you visualize just a few ways you can jump in and be comfortable. I love the saying "Less is more." And with Roleplay, I find that Teevi is ideal for this.

Teevi is an orc huntress who has no memory of her early childhood, was found in the Thousand Needles by Tauren. When I created Teevi, I loved to roleplay but I knew NOTHING about Warcraft. I still haven't played the single player Prequel games to this MMORPG and I only know a mere scratch of what is out there for Lore. I freely admit it! Ignorance is not necessarily bad, as long as you admit it. Therefore, Teevi has no memory. Her first "human" interactions in her memory, are limited to the loving and nurturing care of the Tauren that found her in the Thousand Needles. In order to avoid hardcore Orc Culture RP, I had Teevi shy away from other orcs and gravitate towards the Tauren, who rescued her. (Except for Mackh, who also had backstory that he came up in the Orphanage and championed Teevi from being picked on. This is why he is a warrior, just as an aside.) I made Teevi a hunter because it was the easiest class to start and coincidentally, there was a Tauren hunter trainer right by the orphanage in Orgrimmar. I also picked Hunter so that Something else can take the hits while I figure out what to DO with this girl in combat. (Boy, revealing the player beneath my rp choices had better help someone--this is embarrassing!) Since Goblins were also exploding things in the same area of Orgrimmar as the Orphanage, I had Teevi hide from the other orc kids and watch the animals or the goblins nearby.

SO! This is the engine under the hood, if you will, on Teevi. One final thing. I had a traumatic experience with my very first WoW character on the OTHER side and so I made Teevi an Idiot-Savant. She doesn't understand sexual innuendo and she never will. Avaunt YE, LERPing lizards! We do not understand your perverse and icky whispers! She can strip down a mechano-hog and figure out why it isn't loud enough to scare all the wildlife away but that is all the stripping we will tolerate in her roleplay. Mmmmkay?! Ahem. The Vehicle: Teevi of Feathermoon, is now ready to safely navigate the Lore, the area and have a ready explanation for her special abilities.

Teevi Ashgrip is a Hunter due to her affinity for animals and the Tauren trainer that was near her dwelling. She is an engineer because she sight identified with the goblins' tinkering, also nearby. She has no orc culture, shies away from most orcs and only Mackh defending her and then introducing her to Thorgrun, (who felt pity and adopted this cultureless orc creature and showed her kindness) has connected her to the Thundering Hammer Clan. Teevi is one of the original members of the Clan. Ask her a Lore question? She doesn't care. Ask her if she loves anyone? She loves all her friends. Ask her if she will help with something? She loves all her friends. Ask her for a scope? Her vision sharpens, her hands become sure and hey! presto! You got a scope. Any questions? The answer depends on if you are a beloved friend or someone who wants to hurt them. Nothing else matters. Not even LORE.

[Also on Edit: Norissice, the shadow priest. Her player STILL knows a pittance of lore. Solution? Norissice relies on a "Chorus" to "advise" her. They don't always have the same answer, a sensible answer or much of anything. Find out ingame as to why that is. Needless to say, her view of Lore can be made up, flat out wrong or a "test" of a clan/faction mate's loyalty. I can play it a thousand ways so that others who have Lore can correct her, introduce the factual timelines and laugh. But I still don't know Lore. See? Easy-peasy. So many ways to get around not knowing Lore but letting the facts come out by being a foil for others who do.]

Alright, gonna immediately post a follow up to this ENORMOUS WALL OF TEXT and then fill it in about posting rp stories in a forum. If you are still interested, stay tuned! <3 [On edit: I saved two post spaces. PLEASE feel free to add, question or discuss! Post. Go ahead. POST! ]

Last edited by Teevi on Mon Oct 27, 2014 8:41 am, edited 4 times in total.

Post subject: Re: About the Hall of Fire...
PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 8:23 am  

[continued from above]

We have the Vehicle: Teevi Ashgrip, now what do we do? What stories can we tell and more importantly, with whom? Well first, we should probably go into what I more or less call, The Ettiquette of Cooperative Story Telling. Too long? Okay, call it "Courteous Driver in WoW". We must obey road signs and yield right of way. If it isn't clear by now, ERPing (erotic roleplay) is not a Teevi thing. She will throw out IC signals that she isn't getting the innuendo and it can be a lovely opportunity to laugh and turn it on its head, but this is my way as a player of throwing out a STOP sign. Just STAHP!! When approaching an intersection of players, look for those road signs. Wait to see the lay of the land and then navigate. If you are unsure, put a tester feel out. Here might be an example.

Teevi gallivants to a group of people in front of the Bank in Orgrimmar (vanilla wow) and hugs people and greets them in her typical, loud, exuberant fashion. Then she listens. Her face turns from one speaker to another. If she doesn't understand because "LORE", her expression becomes vapid. Other players might pick up on player ignorance. What happens now? One helpful and knowledgeable knowitall mageofdeath turns to Teevi and in dripping tones of impatient "patience" then elaborates on whatever it is that the player is missing about the conversation/actions/reactions taking place. OR, as is more IC for this mageofdeath, he ignores her and pointedly continues the discussion with original target of whatever "rant o'the day". Information is still there. Now what happens? Teevi can be hurt but hang around to get the information. Teevi can stalk away. Teevi can do whatever the player has time or the inclination to do. Teevi can tug on the shirt sleeve of a more sympathetic character and loudly whisper something that implies insult (in an oh so innocent way) of the mageofdeath. Roleplay happened. The players stay true to their characters while accomplishing their intended goal. Mageofdeath was giving instructions to be executed and didn't have time to cater to Teevi's lack of knowledge because the player of Mageofdeath had to leave for work in 5 minutes. Easier to be abrupt (which was IC) and get the goal accomplished and log, than to let Teevi's interruption become disruptive. But only if Teevi notices the STOP sign. He didn't cater to her signal because he had no time and Teevi turned to a different, lesser connected character/bystander and maintained the flavor of the situation while being In Character.

In the above scenario, there are actually several ways to communicate "signs" and cooperate with one another. One of the things I will do is send a whisper with [brackets]. This lets the recipient of my whisper know that I am not IC and I am talking about the plot mechanics of the story in front of me. I could whisper mageofdeath "[Hey, not sure what this is in reference to. Can you include the lore in your chat or is that too much?] He can either comply with his rp or whisper ["No time. Gotta leave for work in 5 min.] ["Ahh, kk!] Cooperative story telling is about being flexible and considerate. Every interaction is an intersection in the drive of your personal WoW story. Be alert. Be cautious. Take your turn and get to where you are going. Or park on the corner and watch the traffic. That is perfectly IC, too. You could be mistaken as AFK and then surprise folks with an interjection once you catch up. Or file it away for a more private, sinister blackmail bit of rp. Or whatever.

POWER EMOTING is not considerate. Neither is shouting (allcaps) unless it is one of those exceptional situations where shouting would be perfectly IC. "FOR THE HORDE!" (rawr, meltfaces, get another beer!) A Power emote needs defining. The best thing I can do is give examples of emotes and let you discern them.

Teevi smiles at you before slipping around a corner.
Teevi brushes past you, smiling and turning out of sight.
Teevi pushes you into a wall as she runs around a corner and out of sight.
Teevi slams you against a wall, causing you to gain a bruise. She runs out of your reach around a corner.
Teevi monster slams you against the wall so brutally you can't even see straight, dude! You think you need a medic. When your vision clears she is gone. Was it really Teevi??

The basic rule is, you can control your character ONLY. You can include people as targets but you can't determine THEIR outcome. You can take aim. You can whisper ["gonna fire an arrow, you decide if it hits"] but you can't determine the outcome for another character. That is an abuse of the emote system. This is referred to as Power emoting. It is bad manners. It's like spray painting cow spots on someone else's car. Don't vandalize your fellow commuters in WoW. Please and thanks.

Now, if the target of your bow decides to be an impossible to hit, "Legolas the Immortal" about your arrow, you know their roleplay might be less than ideal or realistic. (I call that being a Mary Sue, not gonna explain that.) Take it in stride. That might have been Teevi her first time out on a Sunday roleplay drive. At least you have interaction and can develop a list of preferred players. Many seasoned travellers smiled at Teevi's prowess and agility and she learned by example and improved so that in a later time, she didn't quite make it out and took an arrow to the shoulder. And vowed vengeance. And stuff happened.

[[On edit: A Cantoria vignette: Daralyn and Jatazi had to deal with a dress that belonged to Cantoria. Apparently it got dragged through a sewer and gained a few tears and the final result was a funny story with wild capers and hidden agendas to find, clean, repair, throw away and replace this dress. All while Cantoria was oblivious and recovering from injuries gained during a kidnapping/interrogation in said sewers of Dalaran. We laughed. A good time was had by all. ]

Last edited by Teevi on Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:42 am, edited 5 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 8:27 am  

This space ALSO saved for Teevi. Because...well verbosity married Malkavet.

Bored? Here: https://www.facebook.com/notes/tarquin- ... 9881752074

A bit of feathermoon history and cooperative story telling from the build up before MoP dropped. Alliance and Horde arranged for a "Peace Summit" in Dalaran. It went south (planned) and a few eventful plot goodies came to pass to help folks have a launching point for their individual character development. Tarquin is an incredible story teller and this link is to part of his follow up on the Peace Summit Shenanigans, based on an actual IC meeting between himself, Illithias and Corspilla. I'll put more here later but examples of exported events into forum posts are better than lengthy "Thou shalt not ___". Oh, yes. The hook: During the Peace Summit, Malkavet has dognapped Shaila, a worgen married to a prominent leader in the Alliance's Order of the Rose. Annnd we're off!

Want more on how we built up story for roleplayers on Feathermoon in the lull before MoP hit? Here, a link to our own Halls of Fire. viewtopic.php?f=5&t=184
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic ... 2521#8--to the realm forums, more background on the Peace Summit. Do a search there on Peace Summit, plenty of threads to look over.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 12:17 pm  

ooc:

Love this post! I'm really excited by the uptick in interest for revitalizing RP within the guild :D

The backdrop of WoD is (imo) a much more accessible and interesting stage for the guild and our characters.

Juni and I have downloaded MyRolePlay. Right now, I'm trying to do some information gathering from the guild & our guild RP'ers regarding Thundering Hammer Clan.

A lot of this information doesn't necessarily need to be established (if they'll happen organically) but some questions regarding the guild that might fire the RP brain cells.

1. How was the guild originally formed? What is its purpose and goals? Who are the types of people that would typically join?
2. Where is the guild currently located? (Two Moons as I understand - homeless). What does that look like? Is there a THC camp settled off to the side somewhere? Or are members independent or in teams (cell-like) and find their own quarters?
3. How are missions decided upon? How are they delegated?
4. Who or what is our biggest threat?
5. How does the world (both friends and enemies) currently view Thundering Hammer?